Saturday, November 9, 2019

Switching Containers for Your Pre-Arranged Florals


Changing Vases for Flower Arrangements


A couple of months ago my Mother-in-Law (MIL) asked if I could take an artificial arrangement of hers from one vase and switch it to another.  I told her no problem as this is usually a pretty easy task to accomplish and I took pictures along the way to share with you.  Check it out:



Changing Vases for Flower Arrangements
Original Piece

Here is what the arrangement looked like to begin with - a much different container and it was designed in the 'round'.  That means that the flowers were positioned so that the piece was lovely to look at no matter what side you approached it from.  That's a great thing for vases that are used as centerpieces, but my MIL wanted this one to sit on a side table.  For that reason I ended up making it a one sided arrangement, with all of the flowers facing the 'front'.

I also removed the pheasant feathers at her request.



Milk Jug Style Vase in Tin
New container close-up.

Out with the old and in with the new, the flowers now call this milk jug style tin their new home.

I prepped the container by filling with new faux/ dried flower floral foam (you can't reuse foam, it falls apart).  I also used a bit of hot glue on the end of each stem for greater security.



Changing Vases for Floral Arrangements
Comparison of the old and new containers.

Though the vases are quite different in shape and style, the are nearly the same height with almost identical openings.  This meant that transfering flowers was easy as I was sure to have enough.

It also helped that my MIL wanted the arrangement to be slightly scaled down in size - I ended up with material left over.



Organizing Stems for Floral Arrangements
Remove all stems and group by type.

I like to organize my materials into like piles to help me move quickly and efficiently.  This way I can start by adding greens, then create focal points with the large blooms, fill in with smaller flowers and finally finish off any holes with more greenery:



Adding Greenery to a Floral Arrangement
Start by greening.



Adding Focal Point Flowers to a Floral Arrangement
Add the larger blooms.



Filling in a Floral Arrangement
Fill in with smaller stems.



Changing Vases of a Floral Arrangement
Finish off with greenery!

And there you have it, and easy to replicate process of transferring florals from one vase to another.  See an arrangement that's not quite right?  Have one that you want to update?  No problem, grab a new container, some new foam and a bit of glue, you are all set!

**********

I hope you enjoyed this how-to post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

**********

This post was added to the following weekly link parties:

Inspire me Tuesday
Tuesdays With a Twist
Tuesdays at our Home
All About Home
Wonderful Wednesday (Oh my Heartsie Girl)
Wonderful Wednesday (Penny's Passion)
Your Whims Wednesday
Thursday Favorite Things
Home & Garden Thursday
Creative Inspirations
Friday Favorites
Best of the Weekend

2 comments:

  1. And what will you do with the leftover pheasant feathers? Anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now they are tucked away in my stash, but I've always thought about a Christmas tree in pheasant feathers and deer antlers.....:D

      Delete