Saturday, November 16, 2019

Photo Editing - A Few of my Tips & Tricks

Photo Shoot at The Top of a Snowy Hill

One of my favorite hobbies is photography, especially capturing memories of my kids! However it can be extremely difficult to get kids to pose or even slow down.  I manage to get great shots when I want to, but not without deleting at least 2/3 of the total shoot - that's no exaggeration!

 Part of good photography is having nice equipment (I use a Canon Rebel), another part is having some skill is posing, angles, etc.  But for me, a large part is good editing! 😁

That means that after I've gone through and tossed out at least half the batch, I use cropping and filters to really make my photos pop.  Check out these examples:



Snow Angels
Snow Angels in the Backyard

Here is a picture of my son straight from the camera.  Also known as a 'raw' image, this photo is cute, but the extra legs and fence are distracting.



Snow Angels
Cropped

A little bit of cropping and the photo looks much better.  I wanted it to seem that my son was in the middle of an expansive winter wonderland, rather than just outside the back door πŸ˜‰

It's not done yet, though.  I like to play around with various filters to see how my pictures can be enhanced:



Snow Angels in the Back Yard
Filter Applied

I have Photoshop and Photoshop Express on my PC, as well as other various photo editing apps on my phone.  With this batch however, I ended up just using the 'Icarus' filter available from Microsoft, Windows 10.

Sometimes quick and easy is the way to go 😎



Sledding
Sledding With the Family

Here is another great example of what could be a stunning photo with just a little tweaking:



Sledding
Cropped

I removed the strangers and zoomed in on the Husby and kids, purposefully positioning them at the left of the photo.  The hill that we were at is quite large (For Central Illinois, anywayπŸ˜‚) and I wanted to capture the feeling of a vast expanse.  The fact that the sky was overcast played right in to this!



Hilltop Sledding
Filter Applied

And here is the final effect, a cold and snowy day at the top of the hill!
I love to use framed family photos as part of my seasonal decor, and these work great with my winter collection πŸ’•

**********

I hope you enjoyed this photography editing post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

**********

This post was added to the following weekly link parties:

Silver Penny Sundays
You're The Star
Inspire me Tuesday
Tuesdays With a Twist
Tuesdays at Our Home
Wonderful Wednesday (Oh My Heartsie Girl)
Wonderful Wednesday (Penny's Passion)
Your Whims Wednesday
Thursday Favorite Things
Home & Garden Thursday
Creative Inspirations
Friday Favorites
Best of the Weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment