Saturday, April 13, 2019

Easter on the Porch



Inspired by the warmer weather and sunshine that we've been having,
I decided to freshen up the front porch for spring.  Take a look:



Right Side

On the right side of the porch lives my bakers rack, which currently features yellow and cream florals for spring and colorful eggs for Easter.

It has been a few seasons now since I moved this rack from the kitchen to the front porch and it has held up really well until this recent winter. Unfortunately a few rust spots appeared on the frame and the wooden top was damaged.  I'll have a post coming soon where I share how I was able to repair it with some paint and contact paper.

You can click here to see it when I first moved it outside.
You can click here to see it when it was in the kitchen.



Easter Ready Bakers Rack

Here is a better view of the top shelf.  A bunch of sunny yellow flowers are nestled into the corner of the top while pots of artificial grass anchor the lower shelf.  A pedestal bowl of plastic Easter eggs give a bit of unexpected spring whimsey.



Securing Your Pots

Sometimes I like to have containers tipped over so that the contents inside appear to be spilling out.  The trouble is though, when we get a big wind the pot goes flying and smashes onto the porch 😒  I prevented another accident by using a pipe cleaner to secure the pot to the rack.  After wrapping one end of the pipe cleaner around the floral bunch I poked the remaining end through the hole at the bottom of the pot and then wrapped it around a bar in the back of the bakers rack.



Outdoor Milkglass

With my collection of thrifted milk glass ever growing, I've been using as part of my outdoor decor for a couple of years now.  I figured some of it would get messed up but it's heavy enough that it doesn't blow around.  And you know I'm always looking for 'reasons' to collect more, right? 😉



Detail Tip

Here is a close-up of the Easter eggs.  Notice the difference between the eggs in the left and right photos?  The eggs on the left look prettier because none of the holes are showing.  Something as simple as adjusting plastic eggs so that the holes are not noticeable can make a big change in overall decor appearance.  This is a big tip for your photography as well, it's amazing the way the tiniest details can jump out of your photos.



Flower Bunches in a Terracotta Pot

To the right of the Easter eggs sits a terracotta pot that holds a couple more bouquets of dahlias and daffodils.  The bouquets appear to be sitting loosely, but if you look closely at the bottom photo you can just make out that the pot is filled with rocks.  The rocks serve to add weight to the pot while also securely hold the bouquets in place.



Spring Florals & Strawberry Planters 

While I have two strawberry planters on the porch, only one is filled.  It's not uncommon for me to leave elements of my designs unused from time to time, as it gives the eye a place to rest.  Secretly, I also like the idea that if I so choose, there is always more to 'do' 😊



Springtime in the Corner  

On the other side of the door is another grouping of florals and eggs in an assortment of containers.  I like to mix elements with my favorites being milk glass, ceramic and terra cotta.



Bird's Eye View

From this angle you can better see that I have another container (this time a mixing bowl) that is filled with more brightly colored Easter eggs.

Using mixing bowls in unexpected ways is another favorite design trick of mine.  Not only are they sturdy and pretty, but they are easy to pick up inexpensively at yard sales and thrift stores.  The terracotta pot to the left of the easter eggs is also layered into an ivy colored mixing bowl.  And if you scroll back up to the second photo in this post, the potted (faux) ivy on the bottom shelf of the bakers rack lives in another ivy covered mixing bowl 😉

**********

And that's my Easter ready front porch!
I hope you enjoyed this seasonal decor post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

**********

This post was added to the Finding Silver Pennies weekly link party.

No comments:

Post a Comment