Saturday, May 25, 2019

Updating Patio Fabric With Acrylic Paint



You may remember from this post that Husby and I acquired this patio set while thrifting at one of our local Goodwill stores.  Shortly after making the purchase, I used acrylic paint as a stain to update the fabric of the chairs.  Check out how easy this is to do:



The Set

Here is the set right after purchase, you can see that the original fabric was originally a cream color.



Tile Topped Table

Not only are these Italian tiles gorgeous and heavy weight, but.....



Removable Tile

.....they are also completely removable.  Using their own weight to keep them in place, each tile individually rests within the iron frame.  Not only does this mean that moving the heavy table is possible (just remove the tiles 😉) but any rain or spills flow right through the table as well.



Stained Fabric

The only drawback to this thrifted patio set was the staining on the cream colored fabric.  It looked as though tea had been spilled on a couple of chairs and the funny thing is, I actually liked the color of the stain better!  I thought about it for awhile and debated between completely reupholstering the chairs or trying to cover the stain with a 'stain' of my own....and obviously I ended up using paint:



Territorial Beige

The only supplies I needed were an old cup, a paint brush and a bottle of Apple Barrel acrylic paint in Territorial Beige.



Add Water

When mixing up my stain I wasn't very specific, I just added about a tablespoon of paint to roughly a cup of water and stirred until it was completely mixed.



Paint

Once mixed, I painted on my stain until the fabric was completely covered.  It took about two coats to get the coverage that I wanted, but you could do more or less depending upon personal taste.

Side Note:  I would caution a couple of things:  One, put down a tarp unless you don't mind getting your patio covered in paint and two, tape off your furniture if it is light colored or absorbant.  Since my frames are dark colored metal, I was able to wipe off any of the paint water without worry and didn't bother protecting the metal.



Let Dry

This photo was taken after one coat of the stain was applied.  After using two coats of stain I let it dry overnight and followed up with a waterproof fabric sealer which I did two coats of as well.



Updated Set

And there you have it, an updated patio set using just a bit of water mixed with acrylic paint!

I liked this patio set before, but I really love it now.  I think the new fabric color adds richness as well as blends nicely with my terracotta accents 😍

The paint stained furniture fabric held up well over the winter, though that's probably more due to the waterproof fabric protector than anything else, so don't skip that step!  At this time the patio set is fully decked out with potted green foliage that I scored at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago which I'll share in an upcoming post.

**********

I hope you enjoyed this how-to post.
Have a great Memorial Day holiday weekend and thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

**********

This post was added to the Finding Silver Pennies
and the Best of the Weekend weekly link parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment