Saturday, August 10, 2019

Recycling Thrifted Frames






Recently I needed to frame a couple of large pieces (one photo, one painting) and wanted to avoid the high cost of standard framing.  Check out my solution of recycling inexpensive thrifted frames:



Here was my first item, a picture of my Husby at work.  I know, I know, he's super cool.....😍

I love this photo of my husband (in action welding some pipe) and had it printed in a 16x20
After looking briefly at Walmart, I saw that a photo frame this size was going to be around $25, unless I went with a lesser quality (read-not as pretty) poster frame for around $6.



My other item was this painting of my daughter that was created by my Grandpa.  I know, I know, he's super....talented 😄

This watercolor is amazing and also pretty big, measuring 12 x 17.5
I didn't even bother pricing frames for the painting because by this point I had an idea.....



Thrifted Frames!

Why not buy super cheap framed art, already furnished with pretty frames, and just swap out the pictures?  Genius!

I found the large sketch at Goodwill for $6.99, but the 50% off color-of-the-week tag brought it down to a mere $3.50!  That very same day, literally on the way to Goodwill, I passed a yard sale and found the framed painting for $2!

If you are keeping track, that's a whopping $5.50 for two very large, sturdy frames.  Yes! 😎



Fresh Paint

After taking the frames apart I gave them a clean coat of gold paint before inserting my photo and painting.  In the interest of total transparency, I'll admit that I was actually out of gold spray paint (the horror!) and had to pick up a new can at $5.  You can go ahead and add that to the project total if you'd like 😉



And here they are all done, not too bad for under $11!

This project worked out so well that I've already added three more large frames to my stockpile.  They were only a dollar apiece at a church sale that I visited yesterday so I snapped them up.  I also found some Jadeite and so many craft items, but I'll have to share that at a later time.

**********

I hope you enjoyed this thrifting post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment