Friday, March 3, 2017

How to Make: Shark Fin Cupcakes





Ready to dig in to those shark fin cupcakes?!
Read on to see how easy it is to make your own:



Supplies

The Little Man picked out a Betty Crocker rainbow chip mix and I picked up three cans of blue, buttercream cupcake icing (with decorator tips included).  Normally I use standard icing and just spread it on the cupcakes, but these needed to look like ocean water.  I figured the decorator tips would help to make things more 'wave like'.  White liners and a few brightly colored candles from my baking stash finished off the look.

Side Note:  I don't like to make all of my cupcakes identical, hence the colorful candles.  Most featured the shark fins, but I think adding a bit of variation is always more appealing 😄

(You can click here or here to read more about my baking supplies)



*Bonus Pic*

My Little Man, decked out in pirate jammies, was excited to help with the prep 😍



Fresh From the Oven

I baked the cupcakes as usual and left them to cool.
Now, lets take a little break to make some decorative shark-fins 😀



Step 1

After seeing a photo of shark fin cupcakes on Pinterest and figured I could come up with something pretty similar.

The first thing that I did was to sketch out the shape of a shark's dorsal fin and cut it from the paper (left).  Then I traced around the cut-out, flipped it over so that the cut-out was touching the tracing and traced again (center photo) to create a shape that looks like the very end of a whale's tail.  Once I had all of them traced, I used a non-toxic black marker to color them in (right).



Step 2

After cutting out all of the 'whale tail shapes' (left), I used hot glue to fold them in half around a tooth pick secured in the middle.



Step 3

Admire your work and breath a sigh of relief that you managed to cross yet another task from your list 😉




Decorate!

Out of 24 cupcakes, 18 featured one of the shark fin cut-outs.  The remaining 6 sported either a red, yellow or orange glitter candle and some sprinkles.  I hadn't planned on the sprinkles to begin with, but one thing led to another and, well, there you go 😏

Side Note:  The cupcakes are in this baking dish to be stored in my extra fridge until the party.  I added the fins so I could take the photo, but didn't actually leave them in.  I was worried that the moisture from the fridge would cause the paper to get all icky, so I took them back out before storing.



Feeding Frenzy

The shark fin cupcakes made a great addition to our pirate ship cake, but most importantly, the Little Man was ecstatic 😁

(You can click here to read about the pirate ship cake, or  here to see the rest of the party decor)

**********

I hope you enjoyed our cupcakes, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment