Saturday, June 8, 2019

Make Your Own: Enchanted Rose Cloche


Make Your Own Enchanted Rose Cloche - Beauty and the Beast

You might remember from this treasure hunting post that recently I found a dome clock at a garage sale for only $1!  I couldn't wait to transform the clock into an enchanted rose cloche like the one in Beauty and the Beast.  Take a look at how easy it was to accomplish:



Dome Clock

Here is the clock in it's original condition, quite dirty and I'm not sure if it even worked anymore!



Remove the Dome

The dome on this particular clock came right off without any sort of attachment.  Most cloches that I have seen function in the same way.



Unscrew the Clock

After removing the dome (and giving it a good scrub with dish soap and bleach 😉) I unscrewed the clock from the base.  It came off quite easily by hand, leaving behind three holes and a small plaque that said 'Carle' (a local hospital).  The holes I was glad to have as the one in the middle would help me anchor the rose.  As far as the plaque though, a quick coat of gold spray paint took care of that detail as well as various scratches and markings.



The Rose

I found this really pretty, and realistic looking faux rose at Hobby Lobby for $7.99.



Trim the Foliage

When comparing the length of the rose to the height of the cloche, you can see that the foliage rests much too low on the stem.  In order to solve this problem I simply trimmed off the leaves knowing that I could hot glue them back on in a better position later.

Side Note:  Can you see how much better that glass looks now?  I'm telling you - dish soap and a little bit of bleach, my friends 😎



Trim a Petal

Since I was going for Beauty and the Beast similarity, I wanted there to be a loose petal at the base of the cloche.  After deciding which was the 'front' and which was the 'back' of my rose, I carefully trimmed off a single petal from the back.



Insert the Rose

Remember those holes in the base of the clock?  Using the one in the middle, I simply inserted the stem of my rose into the hole about 2 inches and then bent the stem at a 90 degree angle to hold it in place.



Add Detail

Once inserted, I adjusted the stem of my rose into a natural looking shape before adding the foliage.  One full leaf was glued directly back onto the stem while a tiny leaflet was used to cover up the left hole.  I then used the trimmed petal to cover up the right hole.



Closeup

Here is a closeup of the stem, leaflet and petal.  You can see that by not glueing the leaflet or petal down completely flat, they look more natural and realistic.  The stem, however, looked awful with that big glob of glue.



Camouflage


I decided to fix the glue problem with a bit of paint.  Using brown and green, I touched up the glued stem until it looked more realistic.



All Fixed

What a difference a little bit of paint made!



Make Your Own Enchanted Rose Cloche - Beauty and the Beast
Completed Cloche

And there you have it, a perfectly beautiful enchanted rose cloche that's easy to replicate!

**********

I hope you enjoyed this how-to post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

Wonderful Wednesday (Oh My Heartsie Girl)
Wonderful Wednesday (Penny's Passion)

**********

This post was featured at:




10 comments:

  1. Really great and simple !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable ! Thank you for sharing with us at Meraki Link Party.
    Naush

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this repurpose idea! Thank you for sharing at Party In Your PJ's - you are being featured on my blog Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out great. I have 3 or 4 of these old clocks in my decorating stash. I intended to use them as cloches but I can't bare to take them apart because they look so cute in a grouping together as clocks. I keep buying them thinking "this one will be the one I take apart" but not yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I totally understand. Sometimes having craft supplies is as much fun as actually using the craft supplies!

      Delete