Saturday, April 15, 2017

Strawberry Plant Restyle



I ❤ Strawberries

I have a very tiny artificial strawberry plant (you can see it  here) that I found at Dollar Tree once and I just adore.  It's itty bitty and missing a strawberry or two, but I love it!  So when I saw this huge faux strawberry basket at Good Will for $4 I snapped it up.  The only problem with it is I don't really like baskets.  In fact, the only type of baskets I ever purchase have to be rectangular, willow and linen lined because I'm not at all particular about things.....😝  

So anyway, what to do? Restyle this plant into a new container, that's what to do!  You can read on to see how easy it is to transfer artificial arrangements.  

But first, a note on cleaning:



Wash, wash, wash!


Here you can see the color of the water after I washed the strawberry plant - ick!  Needless to say, I washed it twice!


Side Note:  Now there is nothing wrong with shopping thrift stores and garage sales (a couple of my favorite pastimes, if you hadn't figured that out by now 😉), but you should wash everything as soon as it comes home.  In fact, if it can't be properly cleaned, I won't even give it a second glance.  Not only does the idea gross me out, but I have allergies and have to be pretty careful.



A New Container

Eventually I would like a fancier outdoor looking container for this plant, but until I find one that I like this plastic pot will do.  I purchased the pot and two foam cubes from Dollar Tree.



Stack the Foam


I used hot glue to attach the cubes together and slid them into the pot.  Normally I would glue them to the bottom of the pot as well, but since I intend on switching to another container I just set them inside.



Get Organized

The person who originally arranged the strawberry plant  kept some of the bushes whole and cut others apart.  So before starting I lined everything up on the counter top so that I could easily see the differences in sizes.  I like to start by placing my largest stems first and then I fill in with the smaller pieces.  Having everything organized by size makes the process much easier!



Keep Going

Here you can see examples of different spots that need filled in.  The photo on the left shows a large hole where the foam is exposed.  The photo on the right shows and area heavy on greenery where an additional berry or flower would make things look better.  Just keep turning your plant and filling in wherever needed until it looks lush and full.



All Done!

And there you have it!  In a few easy steps this plant went from looking like a table arrangement to a growing pot of summer strawberries.

I hope you enjoyed this restyle post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment