Saturday, September 21, 2019

Bakery Themed Birthday Cake & Cupcakes


Doughnut Themed Layer Cake and Cupcakes

Welcome back for my final bakery themed birthday party installment!  
Today I'm sharing all of the behind the scenes baking details from our doughnut layer cake and cupcakes:



Doughnut Themed Birthday Layer Cake Supplies
Layer Cake Supplies

For the layer cake I used the WalMart brand confetti cake mix, Pillsbury Funfetti icing, custom decorated candles and a few artificial doughnuts that I already owned.

You can click here to see how I decorated these candles.
You can find doughnuts similar to mine here.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cake Layers
Layers of Funfetti

The three tiered cake was composed of two layers of cake per tier.  I used my mini cake pans for the top and standard round pans for the bottom two tiers.  In order to make the middle tier smaller in diameter, I just trimmed down my cake at the edges.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cake Icing
Icing

After applying a 'crumb' layer and letting the cake chill in the fridge, I went back and applied a second layer of icing to smooth everything out.

You can click here to read more about the crumb layer technique.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cake Decorations and Sprinkles
Sprinkles & Doughnuts

These artificial doughnuts are made of two halves attached together with 'icing' in the middle.  I inserted a toothpick into the opening between layers and then poked the other end into the cake.  Since these faux doughnuts are made of a vinyl like material, I wasn't worried about moisture damage.

After the doughnuts were in place I thought it could use more color.  I decided to add some of the sprinkles left over from the candle decorating project.  The extra color really made things pop.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Mini Cake
Mini Cake Layers

When it came to the mini cake, I made one layer of confetti cake and one of chocolate after swiping some batter from the cupcakes.



Doughnut Themed Mini Birthday Cake Decorations
Iced & Sprinkled

I also used some of my cupcake icing in purple and pink to add detail to the mini cake.  
Speaking of cupcakes:



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cupcakes
Doughnut Themed Birthday Cupcakes - Doughnut Toppers
Cupcake Supplies

I used a chocolate mix and funfetti icing for the cupcakes, then added powdered and strawberry doughnuts on top.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cupcake Icing
Icing

You may have noticed from the supply picture that there were two tubs of pink and no purple.  That's because when I placed my grocery pick-up order from WalMart, they substituted my purple for a second pink.  No big deal, a bit of blue food coloring to a tub of pink icing and we are in business!

After mixing up my purple, I put my icing in three separate freezer bags and trimmed off one corner.  This way I was able to pipe my icing onto the cupcakes to give a more textured look.



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cupcake Icing and Sprinkles
More Sprinkles

....and since the sprinkles looked so good on the layer cakes, I went ahead and added them to the cupcakes too.  Little details like these can really make a difference 😍



Doughnut Themed Birthday Cupcakes
Doughnuts

Using toothpicks again, I speared the doughnuts and stuck them onto the cupcakes at an angle.  They turned out to be super cute!

-That's it for our bakery themed birthday party-

In case you missed anything :
You can click here to see the invitations
here to see the decor
or here to make your own ice cream cone balloons.

**********

I hope you enjoyed this baking post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

2 comments: