Saturday, July 20, 2019

Make Your Own Invitations Using Microsoft Word - Doughnut Birthday



With my daughter's 10th birthday quickly approaching it's time for me to start planning.  This year she chose to go with a bakery theme and after finding some adorable doughnut backgrounds, I decided to whip up her party invitations digitally this year.  Some of them I printed out and then others I was able to electronically send via social media - the convenience  was awesome!  I also love how I already have the image in my computer which made transferring it to Shutterfly (for digital scrapbooking) so much easier.

(You can click here and here to read about my venture into digital scrapbooking)

In real life the invitations that I made are personalized - completely different than the fill-in-the-blank style that you see here.  But I wanted these to be 'blank' so that you guys can snag them for FREE if you want them for yourselves!  I'm going to be making a digital download printable party set for my Etsy shop that includes these invitations, cupcake toppers, gift tags and fold-over treat bag printables but.....if you want just the invites and you want them for FREE, go ahead and right-click the images, save to your pc and then print as you wish 😁

Note:  You may need to print them on the smaller side as the images here are screen grabs and not the actual files.  Printing them larger may result in blurred images.

But what if you don't want these invitations at all?  What if you want to make your own?  No problem, my friends!  Just sit back and read on to see exactly how I did it for myself:



Step 1 - Insert Photo

Using Microsoft word I opened a new word document, clicked 'insert' (at the top of the page) and chose a picture from my personal files.  You can use any picture or background that you want.  Even scrapbook paper can be scanned into a digital file and then used as a photo background.

Once my picture had been inserted, I adjusted the size to my liking.  Just click the little squares/ circles around the edge of the picture and drag until you have the size that you want.  You can also right-click, choose 'properties' and enter dimensional values, but I like to adjust my images visually.



Step 2 - Format the Border

After adjusting my picture to the size that I want, I like to spruce up the border.  By clicking 'format' at the top of the page and choosing 'border' I am able to alter thickness and color.  Choose 'weight' to increase the size of your border (I took mine up to 6) and then switch from standard black to a color of your liking.



Step 3 - Insert Text Box.

Once the picture background was customized with my choice of size and border specifications, I then went back to the top of the page and clicked 'insert text box'.  Once the text box tool is opened you can then click and drag your mouse to draw a text box directly on top of your photo background.  After creating my text box I used the formatting options to adjust the border in the same way that I did for the photo.

Note:  By formatting the text box you can also choose to make the text box itself (as well as the border) transparent.  This means your text will appear directly on top of your photo background and can look great depending on the background chosen and size of text font that you use!




Step 4 - Fill in the Text

Once I have the background and text box formatted to my liking, it's time to fill in the text.  It can be a lot of fun to experiment with different font selections and colors.  For the invitations pictured here I elected to add a bit of rainbow coloring to some of the text.

Annnnnd.....I made up a few variations in background styles as well:






And there it is, an easy and fun way to make your very own digital party invitations!

**********

I hope you enjoyed this how-to post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment