Saturday, May 26, 2018

How to Paint: A Butterfly Scene





In addition to the beach scene pot that I shared last week, I painted a butterfly pot as well.
This post will give you a step by step account that can easily be duplicated 😊

(You can click here to read about the beach scene)



Step 1 - Clear Coat

Just like with the beach scene, 
I went ahead and clear coated this pot (inside and out) as well.



Step 2 - Sky

Using a sky blue, I coated most of the pot leaving just a bit of the terra cotta exposed at the bottom.



Step 3 - Basic Grass


After flipping the pot upside down I covered the remaining bit with a deep grassy green.  No exact line is needed here, keep it easy and wavy.



Step 4 - Grass Detailing

Once the basic grass was dried, I went back and added random strokes of green to serve as individual blades of grass.  Though this step is featured with the pot right side up, I found it easier to accomplish with the pot upside down.



Step 5 - Butterfly Wings

After sketching some generic butterfly shapes in pencil, 
I filled in the wing portions with a lovely shade of purple.



Step 6 -  Details

Once the purple was thoroughly dry I used black to create the body of the insect and pink added interest to the wings.



Step 7 - More Details

The scene didn't feel quite finished to me, so I added a few more details.  Antennae, silver wing spots and a few branches in the grass completed the scene to my liking.
(Don't forget to protect your painting with another layer or two of clear coat.)

And there you have it, an easy to recreate butterfly meadow 😄

**********

I hope you enjoyed this painting post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment