Thursday, January 29, 2015

Behind the Scenes: Hunting Themed Birthday - Party Baking! (2015)

I got to spend a good portion of the day last Thursday in my kitchen baking party treats!

Of course they were deliciously camouflage, check it out:



Supplies

Left:  Chocolate cake mix and chocolate frosting paired with these adorable camouflage inspired sprinkle candies.  With these items I made 24 cupcakes in white liners.

Right:  Vanilla cake mix, 2 tubs of vanilla icing, 1 tub of chocolate icing and 1 package of caramel icing flavor.  I used these ingredients to make 1 large double layer cake and 1 miniature double layer cake for the Little Man himself.



Chocolate Cupcakes

Once the cupcakes were iced, I used sprinkle candies in green, yellow, brown and black to convey the hunting theme.

I baked these first to get them done and out of the way as I knew the cakes would be much more time consuming!


Now on to the cakes.....



Caramel Flavoring

What better way to get the perfect camouflage base color?  Add a tinted flavoring packet.  Not only did the shade of beige turn out perfectly, but the vanilla icing took on a yummy caramel flavoring as well.



Frosted Mini Cake

The first step was to frost both cakes in the beige caramel icing.
The neutral beige tone served as the perfect backdrop for the brown and green detail work.



Adding the Camouflage

 I used dark chocolate icing to create the fist layer of camo detailing.  I chose to start with chocolate because having the darker ("heavier") color on the bottom looks better dimensionally.

For more tips on how I create icing bags and trim my cakes to look their best, click here.



Chocolate Shapes

This was actually pretty easy.  I just outlined a few abstract shapes before filling in with more icing.  Once filled in, I used the tip of the bag to swirl the icing a bit.  I thought that gave the icing a more polished look.



Green Shapes

I repeated the process using vanilla icing that I tinted green with food coloring.  Notice how each green shape is touching or slightly overlapping a chocolate shape.  This gives a bit of organization to an otherwise messy look.



Sprinkles!

I didn't originally plan on using sprinkles, but I felt that the cake looked a bit unfinished.  The sprinkles helped to tie each design element together.



Cake Stand Label

I cut labels out of the ingredient packaging and tied them on to the lid of the cake stand.  I really like the way they finish off the look.



The Finished Cakes

Thank you cold January weather, you came through for me even when both refrigerators were full! 

I forgot Husby had two turkeys thawing out in the extra fridge for his smoker, but his workbench made a great cake storage shelf out in the garage!



Cupcake Tower

This is how the cupcakes were displayed during the party.  I made sure to add a little label here as well, even though they were plain chocolate.  For me, consistency is a big factor of good design :)

I finally have all of my party photos edited so I'll be sharing more next week!
I hope you enjoyed this tasty post, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment