Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Husby & Little Man's 'Actual' Birthday (2015)

It's been nearly a month, but here I am today to share with you the fun we had for our double birthdays!  Husby and the Little Man have the same birthday, and this was the first year we got to celebrate (we were a little busy last year) :D

You may recall from earlier posts that while we have a small family party (for the kids) before the birthday, we like to have a little celebration on the actual birthday as well.  Scroll on to see what yummy treats were enjoyed and the birthday spread we put together for the Little Man.



Supplies

It was another day in the kitchen for me! 

Little Man's cake was made from a blue raspberry mix that I already had in the pantry.  

Husby requested a German chocolate cake and sugar cookies.  He also asked to have crepes for his birthday breakfast.  Those I made from scratch using my Granny's recipe.  Husby knows that birthdays are a rare time in which I will forgo the heart healthy diet...he took full advantage!



Blue Raspberry

Little Man's blue cake was topped with colorful sprinkles and festive candles.

I found the set of candles for $1 at Dollar Tree.

The Blue Raspberry cake mix I found marked down at the end of the summer season. Always browse your grocery store's end of season markdown section, you can find all sorts of yummy treats to stock up on.  Just check the expiration dates and have fun!

You can click here to read more about the day I found this cake mix and a few other treasures.

Recipe Review:  This cake mix and icing combo tastes like a Jolly Rancher candy.  It was too sweet for me, but if you are a candy lover it is sure to please!



German Chocolate Cake

Husby likes the Duncan Hines cake mix for his German chocolate cake.  It comes with pecan filling that I mix into the cake batter.  I also purchase a container of pecan frosting to go with it.  The cake is rich enough that it would be fine without frosting, but my sweet-tooth Husby thinks otherwise ;)



Sugar Cookies

Husby likes to have icing for his cookies as well :)



 Little Man's Birthday Table

Here you can see the Little Man's birthday spread.  He got a card each from Mommy and Daddy and a few gifts in addition to his cake.

One of his gifts was a soft new blanket.  Since I finally got the lettering done on his blanket crate, I used it to hold the blanket and his small gifts.

In an upcoming post I'll share the camouflage painting technique I used for the lettering.

You can click here to read about the day I found his blanket crate for $1!

Can you see the bib?  It says '1st Birthday Boy', and I used it for some cute photos.  Afterward I packed it away with the birthday decor.  I like the idea of getting it out each year so much that I even went into Baby Girl's memory box and retrieved hers as well.  Sweet memories!




Inside the Crate

Here you can see the Little Man's blue camouflage blanket, a piggy bank and three small gifts from Baby Girl.

 We have given each of our children a piggy bank at a young age as a way to encourage saving.
  Before he leaves for work in the morning, Husby leaves little piles of pocket change out for the kids to find.  I help them divide the money equally and we talk about saving and banking.  We also talk about what savings should be used for, and how often things like toys should be purchased.  Piggy banks are a great way to start teaching good spending habits!

I am so pleased with Baby Girl and her three little gifts.
When her Gramma took her to McDonald's, Baby Girl saved the book she got in her happy meal.  When she went to Aunt Leslie's birthday party, she used the tickets she won from the games to purchase a small note book.  And when she was rewarded for good behavior at school, Baby Girl chose a small super hero marker from her classroom's treasure chest.  Each of these items she brought home and tucked away to give to her little brother on his first birthday.  She did this all on her own, without anyone telling her to.  She also wrapped the gifts herself.  I am so proud of the thoughtfulness, love and generosity she has demonstrated!

We ended this double birthday day with a nice steak dinner....another Husby choice ;)
It won't be long and the Little Man will be old enough to make requests as well....I'm seeing a lot of double dinners in my future.....:D

That was our celebration, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment