Wednesday, September 28, 2016

'Gardening' Update


You may remember from this post that I decided not to plant any flowers this year, instead opting to go faux.  Why?  Because with two small children I had grown tired of having yet another chore to attend to every day.  

I thought that if I experimented with artificial flowers in my outdoor pots, it would give myself a nice little break and I'd be ready to plant again after awhile.  Well guess what?  I didn't miss the watering or maintenance.  Not. One. Bit.  Instead I found myself looking at the pots each day with happiness that they still looked picture perfect.  And when I remembered that I wouldn't have to water?  Giddy.  I felt giddy :D

So I don't really plan on planting any porch or indoor pots anytime soon.  Maybe not even ever.  Instead I've started imagining the possibilities that fake flowers could provide, and all of the seasonal changes I could make!  But first, I want to start with getting my greens a little more 'filled' out.  When I began this experiment I mostly used what I had available in my supply bins.  Now that I know the materials hold up outside, I want to implement a bit more planning.  

As far as flowers go, I'll work more on that next year.  But for now check out the amazing greenery I have found:



Florals & Greens

I found this large pile of artificial greens and flowers for $2 while treasure hunting.  I didn't care much for the faux iris, but even after tossing them out it was still a great deal.



Greens & Grapes

This huge bundle was another great deal at only $1.  I removed the grapes from the faux vines and used the wonderfully shaped faux grape leaves on their own.

**********

And now that you have seen the materials, take a look at how the pots are evolving:



Mr Gnome is more at home with this lush backdrop.



The kid's playhouse is much more home-y with better foliage.

(Can we just take a minute to appreciate the miniature toy grill?  It even has charcoal that lights up!)



The pansies look much better tucked into a bed of fuller greenery.



Some of my pots just have greens, or in this case, greens and a rock.  I'm ok with that though.  The mixture of several different greens gives a nice, clean look.

This pot did have red flowers in it when I started out the summer, but they faded pretty badly.  On the upside, I'm starting to be able to tell which kinds of colored artificials hold up to sunlight and which ones don't.



I did swap out the previous daisies for these higher quality sunflowers.  Since they came with the $2 box of greens, I thought why not?  I'm thinking in the future that I'll have sunflower-y and mum types for fall only.



The pink hydrangeas look better with a sprout of foliage as well.

**********

Remember, if you want to compare, you can click here to see the original faux gardening post.

**********

I hope you enjoyed my imaginary garden, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer


© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment