Friday, December 2, 2016

My Birthday & Thanksgiving 2016 - How We celebrated

A couple of weeks ago I had the fun of celebrating my 36th birthday!
My celebrating started off with lunch and shopping with my Grandma and then a date day with Husby.  After our day together, Husby and I met up with the kids to have pizza dinner at my parent's house and I then finished up my weekend by pulling out my Christmas trees.

This is the first year that I set up the trees before Thanksgiving.  Normally I like to wait until the day after, but this year I knew I would be busy with my sister in town.  If I waited until after all of the feasting and family visiting, then it would be a week in to December before I would find time again.  I'm not sure how I will do it next year.  I loved that the trees were up and ready to decorate (I only had the lights on), but I didn't really like the mix-match of holidays.  Time will tell, but for now read on to see a few photos from all I've been up to:



Birthday Cakes

Both of these cakes were decorated for me by my Baby Girl.  The top one was a Pepperidge Farm ice cream cake and the bottom cake was a chocolate mix.  Baby Girl got to help Mamaw make the chocolate cake while Husby and I had our date day.



Dollar Tree Pumpkins

Remember those new ceramic pumpkins from last week's  post?  I bought them with the intention of spraying a couple of them in gold paint.  I liked the orange, green and reddish brown ones as they were, but the mottled brown and plain white had to be helped.

It was a funny week leading up to Thanksgiving as I was finishing up a few chores from my fall decorating list while at the same time setting up Christmas trees 😆



Made-Over Pumpkins

These are a couple of pics taken after I sprayed the pumpkins.  It's not a huge change, but I like the subtle difference.  It's all in the details you know 😏



Golden Buckeyes

I had a glass pumpkin full of buckeyes on the dining table and since I was spray painting anyway.....well, why not?  A handful of now golden buckeyes helped the glass pumpkin to better complement the rest of the table top.

I think these would look even better with a coating of gold glitter.  Maybe next year 😀



Evergreen Candle

Most of the time, I prefer to use my Scentsy warmers to make the house smell wonderful.  But when the holidays come, I do like to have a candle on the back of the stove (where little people can't blow it out every 30 seconds 😄).  When I was shopping with Grandma, I got a selection of new wax cubes and an evergreen candle.  

And since I was going ahead with setting up my trees, I also made sure that this candle was burning.  If you remember from past posts, I prefer to use artificial trees for many reasons such as their lower overall cost, longevity and ease of decorating.  However, the one drawback is the lack of evergreen smell!  I get around this with pine scented candles and wax cubes.

**********

While we are on the subject of artificial trees, why don't I provide a few decorating links:

Click here to read about using garland to improve the look of artificial trees.
Click here to read lighting tips.
Click here to read about ornament placement.



Pumpkins & Cupcakes

Remember that birthday date day with the Husby that I mentioned?  Well one of the things we did was stop by a Good Will store (we are both into thrifting now, yay!!!).  I found this little red and brown ceramic cupcake that had a chocolate scented candle inside.  I knew I was going to be getting out the trees in a matter of days, so I went ahead and stuck it on the counter with a couple of pumpkins.


Fun Fact:  I already have ceramic cupcakes that go with this one!
You can see my Christmas ones by clicking here or click here to see my winter cupcake.



Trees & Pumpkins

Like I said, I managed to get my trees up and lit, but didn't want to overshadow Thanksgiving.  Soooooo, I stuck my pumpkins under the tree in the dining room 😂



Tiny Pumpkin Pies

While I didn't host my family's Thanksgiving this year, I did go ahead and make everyone their own individual pumpkin pie.  Do you remember that miniature silicone pie mold that I picked up treasure hunting?  It worked out perfectly!

**********

So that's how we've been celebrating lately, I hope you enjoyed the post.
Thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer


© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2016



No comments:

Post a Comment