Sunday, May 11, 2014

Christmas Florals / Treasure Hunting 2014

Hello friends!  Finally, a floral post!

Last week I found these artificial holiday florals while I was out treasure hunting.
(You can learn more about 'Treasure Hunting' here)




As you can see, there are some nice lengths of ivy greenery (top left), a couple different types of faux poinsettias (top right) and some mixed poinsettia stems (bottom)

Half of the poinsettias I really love.  They have a great texture, rich color and are not too velvety.  These I stashed away to use for the holiday season.  I've got a holiday themed wedding set in mind that I want to create later this year and these will do nicely ;)





The other half of the poinsettias I didn't like as poinsettias, much too velvety looking and the color too bright.  As some of you may know, the red part of the poinsettia is not actually a blossom.  The tiny little yellow bits are the flowers of the plant and the red parts are colored leaves.  

So what does this mean for me?  I can cut them apart and have fabulous cherry-red velvety leaves, suitable for patriotic, valentine or red themed floral sets.  I have an idea for a red/white/blue wedding set for military brides which I think I will be using these for.





Lastly:  the mixed poinsettia stems.  Those I cut apart as well.  The leaves and berries will make great accents for any holiday themed wedding bouquets/ corsage work.  The tiny poinsettias I will probably turn into hair accessories.

It's important to look at items not just for what they currently are, but also for what they can potentially be.  With an open mind, the possibilities are endless!  At just $7, this was quite a treasure hunting haul and I can't wait to get crafting!

Thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2014
















No comments:

Post a Comment