Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Spring Wreath How To 2014


As promised, here is the how-to for the spring wreath featured in my spring decor post  (Spring Decor post here).  The wreath was purchased a couple of weeks ago at a yard sale for .25 and the florals I had on hand.  That means the entire project cost me .25!  Yep, that's right, one quarter.  I loooooove a good deal!



When making a wreath I like to lay all of the materials out to get a sense of how everything will look together.  I also critique the wreath form itself, noting any imperfections.  It seems that wreaths are never perfectly round so here is where I decide what is top and what is bottom.




The next step is to start building.  Begin with the larger flowers first to create the foundation, smaller flowers and greens can be added as accents later.  I decided to make this wreath asymmetrical because the wreath itself was too pretty to cover up completely.  When making an asymmetrical design, make sure the largest portion of the composition is at the bottom.  The eye views the larger part as 'heavier' and therefore the brain prefers to view lower.  Otherwise the arrangement will look as though it is floating upside down.




Once satisfied with my larger daffodils, I began layering on my greens.....




....and then used the mini yellow daffodils to fill it out.  If you noticed in the first picture I had intended to use mini white daffodils as well.  They coordinated well and were very pretty, but to me they made the wreath look a bit 'summery'.  Since I wanted a spring wreath, I ended up leaving them out of the design.


And here is the finished wreath on our front door.  Hope you enjoyed the post, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment