Thursday, October 2, 2014

Garden Wrap-Up (Fall 2014)


A few months ago I first wrote about my design plans for the backyard garden.

(You can find that post by clicking here)
(You can find the mid-summer garden update by clicking here)

If you remember, I planted Morning Glories with the intention of having them grow up, over and around Baby Girl's playhouse.  Here is what it looked like.............................

...............................In my imagination!  Bahahahahaha!  

Yeah, so I was treasure hunting a few weeks ago when I came upon these faux Morning Glory garlands.  They still had the Hobby Lobby price tags of $9.99 each, but I got all four of them for $1!  I have no idea what I'll do with them, but I could not resist arranging them on top of the playhouse and snapping a picture.  :D :D :D



The playhouse in real life.

Still pretty cute, with lots of foliage, but not even close to the way I dreamed it would be (giggle).  Baby Girl is happy with it, so that's all that matters :)



I actually did get some real life Morning Glory blooms, see!

This whole entire gardening process goes to show why I prefer to work with faux flowers. I just can't seem to get nature to perform as crazy big as my imagination...:D



A Pretty Pumpkin

Of all the flowers, and all the vines, we came away with two pumpkins....and one of those rotted.  Therefore this is my 'prized pumpkin'!  Heeheehee!



This year's stepping stones.

The first time I made these I bought the stepping stone kit from Hobby Lobby for around $15.  I saved the plastic tray and since then have made several more stones by just buying the stepping stone mix, which is about $6.  This time the tray finally started to wear at the edges so it's time for a new one, but with repeated use I was able to save lots of money in the meantime.

I make these up right in the kitchen.  I put a big mixing bowl on the counter and line it with a trash bag.  In goes the powder and water and I carefully start mixing (carefully because you don't want to inhale the dust).  Once the consistency is right, I tie off the bag and carry it to the tray where I make a small opening at one of the bottom corners.  Then I can squeeze out the mix just like a big bag of icing.  (Use a decent trash bag for this or you could end up with a concrete mix explosion all over the place!) Once the tray is full the entire bag goes into the trash and I have a clean kitchen.  Yay!

Then it's time for the kiddos to make their foot prints and start decorating.  After a few days, when the concrete has cured, I use acrylic paint to fill out the prints.  I think it makes things so much prettier!



Pretty Mums

I was at Wal-Mart and saw these for .99 each.  I bought them, stuck them in a pot and took their photo....does that count as gardening?  Probably not so much, but they are pretty!

That concludes this year's adventures in gardening.  I hope you got as many laughs as I did, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment