Thursday, March 5, 2015

Decorative Camouflage Lettering (My Painting Technique)







When I wrote about 'Actual' Birthday last week, I mentioned the camo letters that I painted for Little Man's blanket crate.  Today I'm sharing the method I use to achieve this cute camo look!

You can click here to read the 'Actual' Birthday post.



Supplies

The letters for the blanket crate were not my first camo painting project, so I already had paint on hand.  

I used Plaid brand acrylic paints in green, brown and black, these can be purchased at most craft stores for around $1.



Wooden Letters

I found these small wooden letters at Hobby Lobby.  They come 4 in a package for a little under $1.  Since they were on sale that day for 50% off, this project cost about $3!



Green Paint

Green is the color that I want there to be the most of, so I start with it as the base coat.



Black Detailing

Once the green paint dries, I go in and free hand a few abstract black splotches. Don't add too many, you want there to be more green visible than anything else.

You can see from the photo that sometimes (as the paint dries) there will be a few uneven spots.  No problem, just go back and touch up the black before moving on.



Brown Detailing

After the black paint has dried, I go back in and start adding the brown spots.

I like to slightly layer the brown on top of the black, or at least have the two colors touching.  I think it makes the overall look a bit more organized, and ensures that green is still the dominant color.



A Completed Name

Here is another set that I made for a friend awhile ago.  These letters are quite a bit bigger, but can also be found at Hobby Lobby.  I thought it would be nice for you to see a full name ;)

Tip:  I like to lay out the letters in order as I work on them.  It helps me decide where to put each color without things ending up looking uneven.

And that's it; super easy and inexpensive camouflage paint!

I hope you enjoyed the post, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment