Thursday, March 26, 2015

Floral Headbands (Spring 2015)

It's time to welcome spring with a wearable flowers!

I decided to pull a few flowers from my supply closet and make up some headbands check them out:



 Pictured here are five of the flowers I used for this project: hot pink peonies, orange zinnias, yellow cosmos, purple daisies and white zinnias.  

(I also used a simple blue fabric cut-out flower shape that you will see in a bit)



 Headbands

I chose these ready-made stretchy head bands as the base for my floral embellishment.  I wanted something soft and stretchy, these were perfect!



 Making the flowers 'workable'

As with most faux florals, these had hard plastic centers.  The hard bits of plastic make the flowers look bulky and unnatural, so off they went.
 
After removing the plastic centers of the flowers I used my sewing machine to stitch the layers together.  This held the floral layers together while I attached it to the headband.



 Attaching the head bands.

I used my sewing machine to quickly attach the fabric flower to the headband.  This was  a lot faster and stronger than stitching by hand.

After everything was stitched in place, I used glue to attach various beads to the flower centers.  Not only is the beading pretty, but it also covers the machine stitching.

***************

I had a lovely little model help me with take photos of the finished headbands, take a look:




Yellow Cosmos accented with yellow beading on a yellow satin band.
White Zinnia accented with clear beading on a green satin band.



Blue tropical flower accented with navy/black beading on blue satin band.
Orange Zinnia accented with orange beading on an orange satin band.




Purple daisy accented with pearl beading on purple satin band.
Pink Peony accented with pearl beading on pink satin band.

***************

Like what you see?
These headbands are available now in the Jennifer Adams Flowers Etsy shop.

Thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment