Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Welcome Baby Party: The Flowers (2015)



Remember the flowers from the Welcome Baby Party post?  Come with me today for a look behind the scenes at how I put everything together!



Materials

I started out with a few hot pink fabric daisies, light pink fabric rose petals.  For containers I used a couple of white vases and baby food jars that I saved from the Little Man.



Pretty White Vases

Both of these vases were treasure hunting finds from this summer.  Once I had settled upon a design theme for this party, I started looking for pretty glassware.

The vase on the left is white ceramic and was priced at $1.

The vase on the right is milk glass and was in a box that said 'FREE'...yep :D

Both of these vases went home with my sister to keep.  I think I'm going to look for a couple more though, to add to my own collection!



Baby Food Jars

You might remember these jars from this post last summer.  

I love these Beechnut jars, they are so cute!  When the Little Man was done with baby food I decided to keep a few in my candle cabinet.  Yes, I wanted them as keepsakes...but I also had a specific idea in my mind.  I kept seeing them filled with flowers for my sister's new baby.  I should point out that this was before any of us had any idea that a new baby would be coming..hee hee hee!

Fun Fact:  That's something that happens to me a lot, I get very clear visual images of future events.  I can't control it and they typically only involve people I am really close to.  (I actually dreamed my Husby's face and name in 7th grade, but that's another story!)  ...And no, I can't predict the lottery.  Believe me, I have tried!  :D :D :D

Ok, Moving on.....



Fabric Petals

These pink rose petals are from Dollar Tree and are only $1, of course!



Work

The first thing I did was to toss this big white sheet over my dining table.  We have had so much rain this summer, and this particular day was no different.  My poor little kiddos were starting to get a bit stir crazy, and I had to get these arrangements done.  So I threw a sheet on the table to make a wonderfully distracting tent.  They played underneath and I worked on top.  ...I also spent about half an hour picking goldfish crumbs out of the carpet afterwards, but everybody was happy!



Pink & White

A few clusters of pink daisies were very pretty in these white vases, but something was missing.



Finds from the stash.

I went through my supply bins to see what I could find.  I thought these pink and white roses would be the perfect addition to the flowers I was already using.



Much Better!

Adding just one pink rose to each vase gave the arrangements so much more dimension.  The roses also served to bring the pink color of the rose petals (not pictured here) up from the table top.  

(I planned on using the fabric rose petals as confetti during the party)

I thought it was important to point out that designers don't always have every detail worked out in advance.  I start with a general plan, but it's very common for me to add or change things here and there as I become inspired.  Don't be afraid to let the process unfold, even if you feel 'blocked'.  By jumping in and playing around with your materials, you may find yourself coming up with all sorts of ideas!



Tiny Bouquets

I wanted half of the baby food jars to be filled with tiny bouquets.  I quickly realized that such short stems were not going to stay put on their own, so I added a bit of florist's tape.

I also added one white rose to each arrangement, to play off the larger white vases containing pink daisies with one pink rose. That's another detail that came about as part of the work process, originally these jars were going to contain solid bouquets of the pink daisies.


Every jar needs a lid!

How was I going to add the lid to the arrangements?  The white roses ended up being the perfect spot to glue them on, the visual contrast was perfect!



A couple of completed jars.



Rose Petals

Remember how I said that I only added bouquets to half of the baby food jars?  The remaining jars I filled with fabric rose petals.  I just thought it was a cute idea :)



Continue scrolling for more pictures of the completed arrangements--







Those were the flowers from the party, I hope you enjoyed!

In case you missed anything:
You can click here to see the party decor,
  here to see the candy bar favors
or here to see the invitations.

Thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment