Friday, February 26, 2016

Bacon Roses





This past Valentine's Day Baby Girl and I surprised Husby with a bouquet of bacon roses.  These were really good to eat and could be made for all kinds of occasions -Baby Girl has already requested them herself ;)  

What's even better is that they are easy to make too, check it out:



Skewers & Toothpicks

To make the roses I used metal skewers that have a loop at one end.  I slipped a piece of bacon through the loop, then began winding it around into a little ball.  Once the strip was all wound up, I poked a toothpick through the bacon, making sure that it went through the loop of the skewer as well.

The toothpicks kept the bacon strips wound up tight for cooking, and then kept the 'roses' from falling down the skewer once cooked and placed in the vase.



 Wrap it Up

After wrapping the bacon on the skewers, I layered them onto a metal rack and placed them inside of a baking pan.    (I used the metal rack so that as much grease as possible would fall away from the bacon)

Side Note:  The directions I found on Pinterest were to bake at 350 for 40 minutes, but I ended up going longer than that to get the bacon nice and crisp.  This will vary depending upon your oven and how many roses you make at once.



Ready to Eat

After the bacon (and skewers) were cool, I arranged them in a jar stuffed with red tissue paper.  I chose red to go with the Valentine's Day decor of our brunch table, but any color will do.

Tip:  Make sure your container is heavy enough to hold the skewers without tipping over.  You may want to add marbles or stones for greater stability.

Not only were the roses tasty, but the kids enjoyed eating them as though they were bacon lolipops!

-Try it for yourself and let me know how they turn out-
I hope you enjoyed this how-to post, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment