Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Construction Themed Birthday Cake & Cupcakes





Welcome back to our construction themed birthday party.  I'm wrapping things up today with this behind the scenes bakery post.....

.....but in case you missed anything.....

You can click here to see the invitations,
or here to see the party design materials,
or here to see the party decor.

Otherwise, scroll on to read about our cakes!



Cake & Decoratives

For the cake I used a vanilla mix and Funfetti icng.  (I bought Funfetti icing in green to save the step of adding food coloring and stashed the free sprinkles in the cabinet)

To add 'dirt' to the cake I used crushed up chocolate cookies and black/ brown sprinkle candies.

A #2 candle and a CAT bulldozer (both Dollar Tree) were perfect for topping it off.



Heavy Equipment

first thing I did was to position the bulldozer on top of the cake.  I placed it a little off center so there would be room for the cookie dirt.



Making a Mess

I sprinkled the cookie crumble here and there to look as though the bulldozer had been hard at work.


Final Touches

A few of the larger candy sprinkles and the candles finished off the cake.



Mini Cake

The Little Man had to have a coordinating mini cake as well ;)



Cupcakes!

For the cupcakes I purchased a chocolate mix and orange Funfetti icing (again saving the sprinkles).

I also purchased paper liners!  Normally I would use my silicone re-usable cupcake liners, but my white set is starting to show a bit of discoloring :(  I liked these orange and white striped liners as they fit with my color scheme, but they did fade during baking.

To top the orange cupcakes, I used Reese's Pieces candies.
Since I had some of the green icing left over, I made up a few of those as well.  I thought it would be nice to break up all of the orange with a few green cupcakes here and there - green is a calming color and can help to tone down your decor.

And those were our party cakes!
I hope you enjoyed this bakery post, thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment