Friday, June 13, 2014

Home Decor 2014


I wanted to share a little bit of our 'standard' home decor.  I call it standard because these are the items that stay out all year round, regardless of holiday or season.  These items are all neutral and serve as the foundation for whatever seasonal items I switch out.

When it comes to neutrals I like: white furniture, butcher block table tops and counters, pillars, clear glass containers, green ivy foliage (faux of course!) and gold accents.  

I love the freshness and cleanliness of white furniture, it makes everything seem so bright and welcoming. I also like how no matter what room you enter within my home, the basic design theme is the same. This creates a calming feeling as you move about the house.

I am also a beige person (gasp!).  I think no matter what or where, I will probably always paint the walls of my home in shades of beige.  I know, I know, it sounds pretty boring!  But when it comes to switching out for the holidays/ seasons I don't want anything looking too busy or cluttered.....I think I could handle color in the children's room though ;)



These photos were taken in the dining and living rooms.

I like simplicity and ease of living, so having fake plants is right up my alley.  No need to water, just dust them off once in awhile and you're good to go!

Talk about easy, those candles are all fake too!  Battery operated and on a timer, I don't even have to worry about turning them off and on....not to mention the little hands that always seem to gravitate towards danger ;)

The mirror was a treasure hunting find a couple of summers ago, $2 I think.  I added the 'family' decal after finding it at Dollar Tree one afternoon.  A few months ago Husband said, "That's a nice mirror, where did we get it?" .....Um we've had it for two years now, but hey, at least he likes it! :D



The photo on the left is my computer workspace in the living room. Rather than have a traditional desk, I opted for small kitchen table. The frame is white with a butcher block top, and matches our kitchen and dining room tables which are the same style.  (I love the larger workspace that the table offers as opposed to a desk)

The lamp was a treasure hunting find as well.  I think it was $8 last summer.  It was very dark wood, so I sprayed it out white and now it fits right in.  The shade that came with it was the perfect neutral golden color that I like so I left it in place.

I found the little wooden plaque last summer as well, for only .25.  It reads, "We create our tomorrow by what we dream today".  I fully believe in the power of positive thinking and love having this where I can see it each day.

The little white house was a gift from my Aunt Linda, isn't it adorable?  It reads, "Love makes a house a home".  It holds 8 photos and now I have it filled up with pictures of Husby, the kids and I.  Each week when I clean the house I flip it around so that the photos that are visible get rotated.  When selecting the photos for this frame I went with all sepia toned pictures.  That way they blend well into the frame without looking too busy.  Color is wonderful, but can easily cause decor to become cluttered looking.....ahhhh, design, design, design.....;)

Lastly, the pillar and ivy on the right are from the master bedroom.  Since I also love decorating with personal photos, that corner was the only one I photograph without 'over sharing' :D

That's all for now, hope you enjoyed and thanks for stopping by!

-Jennifer

© Jennifer Adams Flowers 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment