Friday, July 24, 2026

Driveway Makeover

Outdoor Decor


We recently graveled the entire area next to our driveway, take a look at the before and after:

**********


Disclosure - This post may contain affiliate links.  If a purchase is made through an affiliate link then (at no additional cost to you) I will receive a commission.  You can read more about affiliate links here


**********


Outdoor Decor
Outdoor Decor

Here is the before - we have a two car driveway and this rocky area was to the side.  Not only did it constantly overgrow with weeds, but it had become a catchall for miscellaneous items while we worked on other projects.  In other words, it was a mess!  

We also wanted to be able to add a shed here and provide more parking off of the street, so graveling it in made sense.



Outdoor Decor

We began by clearing everything out and putting down weed barrier.  This picture is partway through.

If you look carefully in the upper right, you will notice a small black circle.  A honeysuckle vine was growing here and I didn't want to lose it.



Outdoor Decor

The vine is well established and provides so many blooms during the summer.  I wanted to protect it without making a large 'hole' in the gravel.  I thrifted a springform pan (the kind you make cheesecake with), removed the bottom and sprayed the rounded sides black.  This gave me a metal garden pot that secures the plant and allows it to grow through the soil at will.

In the event that the vine dies, the pan will come right up and we can spread the gravel over the bare spot without a lot of trouble.



Outdoor Decor

Here is the entire area to be filled in with gravel.  Since vehicles will be driving on the area, we paid a little extra for industrial strength weed barrier.  I thought that the leveling out of this area was a lot of work...



Outdoor Decor

...and then the gravel was delivered!  It doesn't look that big from this photo, but this pile is actually 5 tons of rocks!



Outdoor Decor

Carefully filling in around the honeysuckle!



Outdoor Decor

We actually ended up needing another 3 tons to finish up the empty spot and level out the rest!

It was sooooo much work moving rock, I'll be happy if I never do it again!  On the plus side, moving mulch and garden dirt seems like a treat now 😄



Outdoor Decor

Here is the shed put together and in place.




Outdoor Decor

And the honeysuckle starting to leaf out.



Outdoor Decor

And here is the finished result - so much nicer looking and functional!  My husband wants to put in a decorative metal wall along the side, but that's a next year (or so) project 😉

Interested in more outdoor projects?  Check out these links:




I hope you enjoyed this outdoor makeover post, thanks for stopping by!
-Jennifer

© Studio 27 by Jennifer Adams 2026


**********

This post was added to the following link parties:

No comments:

Post a Comment